Album review: Gavin Creel - Get Out (2012)

"I got a classic beat on my boom box stereo
I'm tipping down the street in Nowhereville, Ohio"

Gavin Creel's third album (and last to date) is 2012's self-published Get Out, something of a return to the variety of his first but also building on the maturity of the second, to create a cohesive pop album that effectively shows off a different side of this musical theatre star. It is tempting to say that you see more of Creel's musical identity emerging on this record, and I can best describe that identity as a singer-songwriter take on Erasure.

And being a big Erasure fan since childhood (I know, right!), it means I found Get Out a very enjoyable record to listen to. There's an indulgence of the folk-inspired, acoustic sound of the Quiet EP on tracks like 'Sooner or Later', the crunchy guitars of 'U Can't Ignore Me' are a delight, and the lyrical playfulness of 'Whitney Houston' is wittily done indeed. And since Creel is so dreamy, I'll forgive him the spoken word bit in Get Out but boy ain't no rapper.

Labels: ,