#ThankyouNick - my top 10 (and then some) National Theatre productions of the Hytner era

"Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on"

Ever one to jump on a bandwagon, here’s my contribution to the #ThankyouNick love-in, as Nick Hytner bids farewell to the National Theatre. Narrowing down my favourite productions at the South Bank venue was hugely difficult given the number of shows I’ve seen there since moving to London just over 10 years ago and also in considering other memorable moments - like the joy of getting to see the likes of Vanessa Redgrave and Juliette Binoche onstage for the first time, the jaw-dropping design feats like Bunny Christie’s tenement block for Men Should Weep and Mark Tildesley’s clanging bell in Frankenstein, the revelatory Shakespearean moments like Clare Higgins’ awesome Gertrude and the extraordinary emotion of the final scene of Dominic Cooke's The Comedy of Errors...

Anyhoo, here’s my top 10 (plus five honourable mentions) in roughly chronological order.

1 His Dark Materials Part 1 and Part 2
Back in the day when taking a day off work to see two shows was something I’d never thought of, seeing this adaptation of one of my favourite works of literature proved to be a life-changingly amazing experience and hugely moving too, at the end I sobbed in my seat until the Olivier emptied.

2 Time and the Conways
Likewise, seeing Rupert Goold direct for the first time without any of the advance knowledge or expectation was just breath-taking - I would love to see those scene changes again. 

3 Our Class
One of the most haunting things I have ever seen, even to this day.

4 The White Guard
That scene change!

5 After the Dance
Nancy Carroll's back being better than most other actors!

6 London Road
A truly paradigm-shifting musical

7 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

8 The Amen Corner
So good I gave it a standing ovation without even realising what I was doing.

9 The Light Princess
So good I went back four more times.

10 Here Lies Love 
If only more shows in the newly refurbished Dorfman were this adventurous, not least in its casting choices.

Honourable mentions
The James Plays
Earthquakes in London
The Last of the Haussmans
The Effect
Edward II

Not a bad haul at all then, and a great trip down memory lane, thinking about plays that had long slipped from my mind for no reason other than my own forgetfulness. There are undoubtedly shows I wish I'd seen - Much Ado About Nothing, Jerry Springer, even The History Boys - all victims of being on at a time when I didn't feel the need to see everything!

So let me know what you think and what would you have on your list. 

Labels: , , ,