Review: The Testament of Mary, Barbican

“I went to sleep and when I woke up, Miriam was standing over me. Whispering.”

This whole blogging malarkey can get a little bit wearing when small things like real life, the day job and editing another website get in the way of going to the theatre most every night and then writing about it. Thus the temptation to eschew a 'proper' review for something a bit less demanding and more fun to put together get a little stronger and in the cases when I'm not on official reviewing duty - I'm becoming more inclined to just go with it - example #1, example #2

So you will have to look elsewhere for serious writing and thinking about this Fiona Shaw/Deborah Warner collaboration on Colm Tóibín's The Testament of Mary which resides in the Barbican for just a few more days. For I wrote a wee ditty in the pub afterwards and that's all I am inspired to do. I thank you.

"Mary had a big black bird, 
I think it was a vulture. 
Her testament was long but dull, 
I guess that what's called culture"

Running time: 80 minutes (without interval)
Booking until 25th May 

Labels: